Culture and history info
From history of Kukljica
Rural buildings are modest in their shapes and sizes and possess rustic features. They are small but graceful country houses that emanate Mediterranean warmth. Its origin was conditioned by many requests, primarily with tradition and mentality, area and material available for the construction – stone.
First known written mention of the name Kukljica we can find in document from year 1106. published by Tadija Smičiklas in “Codex diplomaticus”. Document mentions a gift of olive grove to monastery of St. Chrysogonus in Zadar. More significant buildings, unfortunately damaged, are Nassis family villa from year 1623. and the ruins of unknown building in Ortulan palace.
The best example of construction of stone houses, typical autochthon construction in Dalmatia, is found in Kukljica. Houses are crammed together creating small square almost regular square shape. This type of construction is called dvor. Best conserved ones are: Bačin dvor, Benin dvor, Jojin dvor, Lisičin dvor, Lonin dvor I Martinov dvor.
The Votive church of Our Lady of the Snow is situated in Ždrelac Passage in between islands Ugljan and Pašman. Holiday of Our Lady of the Snow is celebrated every August 5th since year 1514. Interior of the church with its main altar consists of four marble pillars and shrine. Church has five altars; main being devoted to Our Lady of the Snow, and the remaining four to Birth of the Virgin Mary to St. Assunta, St. Andrew and St. Nicholas. It is 17 century baroque style church and represents an important cultural landmark of the area what is recognized in Regional institute for conservation of cultural monuments in Split 1982. where the church of Our Lady of the Snow was put under the protection of the state.
St. Jerome church is situated northwest of Kukljica, in the cove Kostanj, facing Zadar canal. Style characteristics of the church led historians to conclusion that is built in 14 century. As early as the end of 16 century the church was abounded and left to decay. In recent times the church has been restored with donations from people of Kukljica. Significant and complex restoration and conservation work has been done on church. A portal with Romanesque lunette was restored, walls have been pargeted, bell tower reconstructed as well as wooden roof. The church was completed and sanctified in July 1997.
St. Paul church - situated in the centre of the village is parish church devoted to St. Paul’s conversion. Late Roman or early Croatian house of worship stood at this site before church of St. Paul was built. Time took its toll on the old church and it was knocked down. In the exact same place new church from ground up was built in year 1666. Style characteristics place the church in 17 century baroque architecture. Interior of the church consists of main alter devoted to Our Lady of St. Carmen, two alters on the right side are devoted to St. Paul and Holly Spirit, as well as two alters on the left side devoted to Holy Spirit and Souls in Purgatory. Leaning on vestry and left side of the church is bell tower built in 1741.